Search This Blog

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Cummings addresses Trump impeachment, Baltimore insults


Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), speaking in Baltimore on Saturday about the potential impeachment of Donald Trump, said he’s “trying to be fair” to the president. “There may be a time where impeachment is appropriate. One of the lines for me when and if the administration disobeys court orders. Then we have no choice, so we will see,” Cummings told reporters at his home district, which has been attacked repeatedly by the president in racially charged tweets over the past week. The House Oversight and Reform Committee chairman reiterated that he agrees with Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s approach to starting impeachment inquiries — calling for further House investigations in place of impeachment proceedings. “Remember, I’m not — I haven’t called for his impeachment, and I’m trying to be fair to him, too. I want to be fair. That’s why we need to do our research,” Cummings continued. More than half of House Democrats now support launching impeachment inquiries, but so far Pelosi has not indicated a change of position. Cummings also commented publicly for the first time on Trump’s barrage of insults aimed at his district. “When I hear criticism by anybody about my city, what bothers me most is we have a situation where folks are stepping on the foot, on the hope of our children. I don’t know what I would have done if I had people in high places when is I was a little boy telling me what I couldn’t do,” Cummings said. “Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place,” Trump wrote. Trump’s tweets ignited a firestorm among the Democrats and fierce national debate over the president’s drumbeat of racial rhetoric. Article originally published on POLITICO Magazine Source: https://ift.tt/2KfNKdd Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you. The Article Was Written/Published By: Christian Vasquez ! #Headlines, #Congress, #Democrats, #ImpeachTrump, #Political, #Politico, #politics, #Trending, #Newsfeed, #syndicated, news https://ift.tt/338xAcV
source: https://droolindognews.blogspot.com/2019/08/cummings-addresses-trump-impeachment.html

No comments:

Post a Comment